Friday, July 22, 2011

Spilling the beans...

Telling Ben's Family
June 2, 2011

So we told Ben's family tonight.

We go over to Ben's grandparents house to eat dinner every Thursday night. Its a tradition they have had since before Ben's parents got married. When we started going through infertility treatments, I realized that anytime we asked everyone over to our house, they would be expecting a big announcement, or at least I thought they would. So I knew I wanted to do it on a random night so they would be surprised. Well when we found out last night that we were pregnant I knew we had to tell our families soon. I knew I couldn't make it a whole weekend with my family at the beach without telling them. So we decided to tell Ben's family tonight and my family tomorrow.

I was a nervous wreck. I can't keep a secret like that to save my life. It was too big. So we walked in and kept reminding myself to not continuously smile because that would give it away. Ben's dad works late most nights so he doesn't typically make it to Thursday night supper, but since tonight was his and Ben's birthday supper, we knew he was going to try and be there. When we walked in we asked where Doug and Chris were. Well they were both working late. Doug would be there just late and Chris said he would be surprised if he made it at all.

I made it all through supper and through dessert without giving it away. But as we were eating dessert, Chris and Doug showed up. I got so nervous!!

Wouldn't you know that as soon as Chris ate, he got another call so he had to leave. I was suddenly so disappointed. I didn't know what we were going to do. Ben decided we would tell the rest of the family anyways.

Ben did it perfectly. He got Brody. He was a little fussy so Ben was walking him around the room. He walked him into the living room (the other room) and put a bib I had made him. Ben walked in with him. He showed Cathy and Amy the bib I had made (that said I love my cousin). It took them a few seconds to understand who the "cousin" was but they understood pretty quickly and then were so excited!!!

I had been really worried about everything but once we told them I felt so much better!



Telling My Family
June 3, 2011
 
We knew that we wanted to tell my family this weekend. We are all at the beach and I knew it would be hard to keep a secret from them.

We got down here about 7 and we hadn't eaten dinner so I knew pretty much as soon as we got here, we would leave to eat. We got here and unloaded all of our stuff and got a tour of the condo. We brought the swing that I have for Kaleb this summer, so Kate was excited to see how he would do in it. We were planning on telling my family just like we did Ben's family, so when I noticed that no one was holding Kaleb, I went and got the bib out of my bag and put it in my pocket. I came back into the living room and picked Kaleb up and was walking around with him. Well, I couldn't figure out how to get the bib out of my pocket and put it on him so I walked into the bedroom where Ben was. He got the bib out of my pocket and put it on him. I walked back out into the living room. It was so funny because everyone was just doing there on thing. Jake and Dad were on the couch watching TV, Kate was doing something in their bedroom and Mom was doing something in the kitchen. I waited a few minutes until Kate came back into the room. I told her that I made a bib for Kaleb. Mom and Kate came over to where Ben and I were standing with Kaleb and they both said it was too cute! And then you could tell they were trying to figure out who the "cousin" was. Finally my mom noticed that I was grinning from ear to ear. And she was so excited! She started freaking out and everyone was screaming! By that time, Jake and my dad had walked around the couch to where we were standing. I was so happy that I was finally able to tell them.

Everyone was kind of just in shock. Once we all calmed down a little but I told them all the details of how we found out and everything we knew so far. It was very exciting!!

No comments: