This week is National Infertility Awareness Week. I'm taking part in Resolve's bust a myth challenge.
When we started trying to get pregnant last year, I thought it would be easy. We started trying about the same time that my sister-in-laws did and while my sister was pregnant. I thought it was going to be so fun for us all to be pregnant at the same time. I wrote many blog posts in my head full of pictures of us all pregnant and with little babies.
But month after month of negatives I slowly realized that this picture I had in my head of trying to get pregnant wasn't going to turn out so fun. I quickly learned about the pain involved in infertility, physically and emotionally. The experience went from something fun I was enjoying with my husband to something that I quickly consumed my mind!
The myth I'm choosing to bust is one that I have heard too many times to count.
Just relax, you'll get pregnant when you least expect it.
Really? Is it that easy?? Why am I wasting all my time and money, getting poked and prodded more times than I care to count, if all I really needed to do was relax? I realize that this comment is made with the best of intentions and comes with love most of the time. I also understand that unless you've been where I'm standing, you have no idea how much it hurts. Trust me, if all it took was relaxing, I would have relaxed a long time ago. But the truth of the matter is, is that relaxing has nothing to do with the fact that my ovaries create cysts all the time and don't create the hormones that keep me regular. Relaxing has nothing to do with the fact that my estrogen levels are WAY out of whack and nothing seems to be helping get them normal.
I am not going to get pregnant when I least expect it because I am always expecting it. Ben and I are "taking a break" this month to try to regain some normalcy to our lives and just chill out for a while. But does that mean, I'm not thinking about? No, I may not know exactly what all my levels are or how many follicles I have at this moment, but I am thinking about it. At this point, its impossible not to think about it. It isn't overtaking my life but it does cross my mind. The best way I can explain it, is like already having kids and thinking about them. You can function throughout your day, but at some point, your kids cross your mind. That's my life right now. I can function happily through normal life but all of this does cross my mind.
I don't want all of this to come across the wrong way. Ben and I have been so blessed with an amazing support system. Our families have opened their arms to us and we know they are there for us no matter what. They are praying for us daily. I know that their hearts are breaking with ours at bad news we recieve and will celebrate with us when we finally get the GREAT news! My sister-in-laws and sister have been amazing throughout their pregnancies and now with their babies (whether they realize it or not!) I know that this journey would be a lot harder without the amazing support system that we have. You have no idea how much it helps to have someone say they are praying for us or thinking about us.
I came across THIS ARTICLE on Resolve's Website not too long ago. It may help when you really just don't know what to do or say.
If you would like to know more information about Infertility, visit HERE... For more information about National Infertility Awareness Week visit HERE

1 comment:
Brilliant post. Thank you for participating in this challenge. I also wrote about "Just Relax". Wishing you all the best on your journey.
Here from NIAW blog list.
Post a Comment