Saturday, May 3, 2014

Oh Jaundice...

Tucker spent most of his first week on a photo-therapy light. When we went to the pediatrician the day after we were released from the hospital, his bilirubin levels were really high. The doctor believed that the numbers were super high due to the fact that he was very dehydrated and not really due to his jaundice. But he sent us home with home health care nurses and a photo-therapy light. He had to stay on the light all the time except when he was eating and getting his diaper changed. The doctor also told me that I had to do only formula for 24 hours.

Conveniently, the light perfectly fit into his cradle that we have in our bedroom for him to sleep in. Luckily, he didn't seem to mind the light all that much. We had to put him in the jacket thing with just a diaper on so we piled on blankets so he wouldn't get too cold.

At the pediatricians office on Monday, he had dropped down to 5 pounds and 9 ounces, down a whole pound from his birth weight. (He was 5lb 13 oz Saturday night in the hospital) His bilirubin levels were 22. When the nurse came Tuesday morning, he had gained back to 5lb 12.5oz and his bilirubin levels were down to 13.7. We were excited that he seemed to be going in the right direction.

 

Wednesday morning brought even more progress. He weighed 5lb 14oz and his bilirubin levels were down to 11.9. We also got the go ahead that I could continue nursing, but should probably supplement with formula until my milk came in fully. We thought that he could possibly come off the light but were told that some doctors want the bilirubin below 10, so not to be surprised if the told us to stay on it one more night. When the nurse called Wednesday afternoon, she said we would be on the light at least one more night.


 Thursday morning, the nurse came back to check Tucker again. He had gained to 6lb and 1 oz! We were super excited with the weight gain. When his levels came back, they were down to 9.7! When the nurse called later that afternoon to tell us we didn't have to stay on the light, you better believe I took him off and held him for the longest time!!

I kind of got a glimpse of how hard a NICU stay would have been. I know this light was no where near as difficult as a NICU stay would have been but it was so difficult not to be able to hold my newborn as much as I wanted! I made feedings last as long as I possibly could because I just wanted to hold him. It broke my heart to just see him laying there. Thank God, that he didn't mind the light. He just layed their content or slept! I've heard stories from other people that their babies cried the entire time on the light. I don't know if I could have handled that! I'm glad we are past the jaundice episode and that Tucker is as healthy as can be!

No comments: