Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fasting

Our church does a fast every January. This year will be the first year I will be participating. I feel as if God is ready to a lot of great things in my life but my selfishness keeps getting in the way.

Today Pastor Jay talked about what kind of fast you could do. You can do a liquids only fast, a Daniel fast (which you give up sweets, bread, meat, and a few other things), or anything else. He talked about how it isn't important what type of fast you do, it's just important that you do it.

I knew I wanted to participate this year but I really didn't know what I could do. Since we're trying to have a baby, I can't change my diet radically. When Pastor Jay said that we needed to think of something that consumes a lot of our time, I knew exactly what I would do.

So starting next Monday and ending Jan. 31st this is what I'll be doing...
  • No Facebook/Twitter. I spend too much time worrying about what other people are doing, when I know I don't really care. I keep in touch with the majority of the people I really care about. Every time I log on, it seems someone else is pregnant. I go through the same emotional roller coaster every time I read they are. It just seems to cause more problems than it is worth.
  • My blog... I'm going to semi give up my blog. I want to be able to blog, but I am going to limit myself how long I can be on here and which blogs I read. I find myself reading blogs of pregnant women or women with newborns and feel a little bitter. It's not healthy.
  • My pregnancy app on my phone. The app tells me what should be happening in my body and when it happens throughout pregnancy. Every couple of days I get on there and figure out when my due date would be and what would be happening if I was pregnant right now. Again, not healthy. So I'm deleting it from my phone!
  • As far as my diet goes I am going to stick to counting my calories on my phone and working out. My goal is 1240 calories a day and working out 4 out of 7 days.
I expect great things by the end of the 21 days. Even if its just contentment with where I am right now, I'm okay with that. Since Ben and I have started infertility treatments, I've wanted to spend more quality time with him and God. I think this will be great!

If you could, say a prayer for me over the next few weeks. I know that giving up social media is not something huge, but I feel like that is what I can do right now. I'm going ahead and posting it on here so that I will have something to keep me accountable. Thanks for all of the prayers in advance!

1 comment:

Mrs. Wilks said...

Hey girl, Just wanted to let you know I am always praying for you, Ben, and your future little ones. I don’t know exactly how you feel since I am not ready for children but I somewhat experienced the same feelings when all of my friends were married and I had not really even dated much. Well the story goes, as you know, that I found my Prince Charming and I believe you will have a Fairy Tale ending too! As far as your media fast, I think that God sees all of our sacrifices when fasting and that he will recognize what you are giving up and not think it is menial or silly. A few years ago my youth group did a total media fast and went without any form of secular media for 30 days! I felt like it would never be over but I learned a lot during those days. I was able to hear God’s voice more clearly since I was not bombarding my mind with all the trash I tend to collect over the day. I believe great things are going to come to you through the course of your fast!