So Wednesday morning, I woke feeling weird. I had some cramping and back pain and just didn't feel good. I started to call the doctor but decided to wait until after lunch to see how I felt. My mom and I met Ben at Chick-fil-A for lunch. After eating we went to Target. I started feeling better after I ate. I had some sharp pains while in Target but nothing major. I felt pretty normal the rest of the night.
Thursday I woke up feeling bad again. I had a ton of cramps! And back pain again. But my back pain was in the middle of my back, so I convinced myself that it wasn't back labor. After I ate lunch, I didn't feel any better so I texted my NP and she told me to come in to be checked. I went and there was no change. I was still 2cm dilated and Dr. Bill said I may be 90% effaced now. I was so disappointed. I just knew that I was in labor. I told my mom on the way home from the hospital that I was probably just going to be that miserable until I went into labor and it wasn't going to get any better. We went home and I rested then we went to Ben's grandparents house for Thursday night supper. I ate a ton but was still pretty uncomfortable. Actually I'd say that I was miserable!
We went home and went to sleep about 10:30. At 1:00 on the dot, I woke up with intense contractions. I had one and thought that I just needed to go to the bathroom. I got up walked around and nothing would help the pain. I remembered from Parker that nothing I did would help the contraction pain and this was the same kind of pain. When the pain finally stopped I was relieved and went and layed back down. Only a few minutes later, the pain started again. At this point, I opened the app on my phone and started timing the contraction. Within 15 minutes, I'd had three contractions. I decided to wake Ben up at that point. Dr. Bill told us to head to the hospital when the contractions were 5 minutes apart for an hour. Because we are 30 minutes away from the hospital, we knew we were going to leave when I had had contractions for 30 minutes. So Ben got up and took a shower (he needed to wake himself up!) we got all the stuff in the car, and headed to the hospital. We called our parents on the way. We also called the on call doctor. She told us that I was more than likely having false labor and that I should take a Tylenol, drink some water, and rest. If the contractions didn't go away, then I should come in. Well at this point my contractions were three and four minutes apart. I knew that I wasn't about to just take a Tylenol and wait! Plus we were almost to the hospital. Ben decided we would get some gas before going to the hospital to waste some time and to make sure that my contractions didn't ease up. While he was pumping the half tank of gas, I had two more contractions. So we were going to the hospital! We got out of the car at 2:07. We went up to labor and delivery and they put me in a triage room to be monitored. They gave me a gown and told me to give a urine sample. Once I was able to get the gown on - it took a few minutes because I was having so many contractions - the nurse checked me. I told her that I would be really mad if she told me I was still at a 2. She said I was barely at a 3 but that my bag of water was bulging and that Tucker was really low. So she started all the paper work to admit me.
I ended up throwing up because of the amount of pain I was in. While I was throwing up, my water broke. The nurse checked me again and I was a 7. So they started working really quickly at this point. They moved me into a room and put the needle in my hand for my IV. I kept having contractions and they were getting closer and closer and more intense. At this point, there were about 10 nurses running around my room getting things ready for the baby. After a few more contractions, the nurse checked me again. I was at a 9 and completely thinned out. They called the doctor and told her to come on in. They told me that there wasn't going to be enough time to get an epidural. I kind of freaked but another contraction came so I didn't have too much time to think about the pain that I was about to be in. The nurse told me that she could give me some pain medicine though. She checked me first and I was at a 10. She told me that she couldn't give me any pain medicine because it would effect Tucker before it effected me since I was a 10. This is the point where I really freaked! No medicine or epidural?! I kept saying that I couldn't do it! The nurse kept reassuring me that I could do it since he was so close! A couple more contractions came. The nurses in the room kept telling me not to push until the doctor got there. It was super hard not to push and it seemed like it took the doctor forever to get there.
When the doctor finally got there, they put the stirrups up and told me I could push on the next contraction. Four contractions later, at 3:24 am, I heard the sweetest cry I've ever heard! All I could say was that it was the best sound and I wanted to keep hearing him cry. The nurses cleaned him up while the doctor got me all fixed up. When they finally brought him to me, it was love at first sight!!
Once he was born, they were finally able to give me some pain medicine and fix my IV. They were also able to finally do all the admission paperwork. Everything went so fast that I didn't have time to sign any paperwork. Ben was texting our families, who were on their way to the hospital, while I was progressing. When he texted my mom that Tucker was here, she didn't believe him. From the time we signed in at the front desk to the time he was born was only one hour and two minutes. I'm not one to want to have a natural delivery. I actually like epidurals. But if I have to go without one or any medicine, labor needs to be as short as mine was!
The only thing that I'm disappointed about was that Dr. Bill wasn't there to deliver Tucker. We've been through so much the past three years and we've become really close through all of my weekly doctor visits. I really wanted him there.
No comments:
Post a Comment