The last few days have been hard on our family. My granddad was sent to the hospital last week with a UTI. He was sent home on Friday with hospice. Even though this isn't the outcome that anyone would have wanted, it was an answer to prayer that he was able to be sent home with 24 hour hospice care. It has been an emotional few days but every time I start to get sad I start thinking about the amazing life my grandfather has lived and the fact that he is going to Heaven with all the people that went before him. I know he will be waiting for the rest of us when we get there!
He is 95 years old! He has been married to my grandmother for 74 years. Many people don't live 74 years much less stay married for that long. He has loved her and his family with all his heart! He has set an amazing example for his children, grandchildren, and great-grand children. He loves Jesus and was never afraid to share the gospel. You could talk to him for just a few minutes but would leave knowing about his love for God.
As hard as it will be to let him go, I rest assured that we will see him again. When I lost Parker and Noah, we talked about all the people who were meeting them in Heaven. I have no doubt that my boys will be there waiting on Granddad. They would have loved him just as much as I do! I can just imagine them sitting around listening to Granddad play his harmonica or sitting around fishing. (Do you think we will fish in Heaven??) It makes my heart hurt a little less knowing that Granddad will be with my boys and they will all be waiting for me when I get there.
A few years ago for Minga's birthday, we all wrote our favorite memory of her down and put it in a scrapbook. I have been thinking about my favorite memory of Granddad. I don't have one single favorite memory. I have so many. Walking down to his garden and listening to him tell exactly what would be growing there. The times that he took Jake and I fishing. The time we had a cook out down by the garden and he made us hot dogs over the fire and then we made smores. He had nicknames for everyone... I was Heather-reno. Jake was Jakearookus. He said common sayings funny - Like "Seat on your put belt" instead of put on your seat belt. Him playing his harmonica. But the thing I will always remember is the love he and my grandmother shared. I hope that Ben and I can make it that long and still love each other!
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
So as we say goodbye to this Godly man, will you keep us in your prayers?

No comments:
Post a Comment