I read Kate's blog this morning and just cried. She and Jake have been through so much. They are back in their house now but all around them you can still see the devastation. People are starting to build back but it will be a long process. You can't drive through Concord without seeing the empty spaces where houses, businesses, and churches once stood. It's now just cleared land. Every time I think about what Jake and Kate have gone through, it almost makes me sick. They have handled themselves so well. They put their trust in the Lord and knew he would get them through the toughest thing they had ever been through.
I've watched so many videos of the TV coverage from that day. I also listened to a few 911 calls. I only made it through the first 15 seconds of the first one before I lost it and I couldn't make it through more than 2 of the calls. It just breaks my heart for all the people who had to deal with so many things that night. Firefighter, police officers, and paramedics see death and tragic events often. They are trained to remain calm in situations like this one. I don't think any amount of training can prepare you for what these people saw that night. Having to help their friends, family, and neighbors during the worst storm they had ever seen. Then you have the every day people who were going about their daily lives when this storm struck. They weren't trained. They weren't prepared for what they would see. They just did what they had to do it that situation.
Getting past the damage of the storm is going to take a while. There are so many houses and businesses that aren't built back yet. So many peoples lives are not back to normal. For many, life will never be like it was before April 27th. I am continuing to pray for those affected by the storms that day. And I pray that we will never have to experience something like this again.
No comments:
Post a Comment